Monday, March 21, 2011

Coconut Milk/Cream, Homemade Beef Jerky & Yams

creamy goodness
Since starting this diet challenge, I have tried more varieties of coconut milk/cream than I knew existed. Out of all the varieties, the worst was the Kroger brand. It did not dissolve and did not taste that great. The other name brands, Thai Kitchen, etc were only ok. The one I like the best though is Aroy-D Coconut Cream.

 Once I run out of the canned stuff, this will be my purchase of choice. I love this stuff. And it is extremely cheap at the Asian food store. Score for me.



Next on the list of wonderful new experiences: Homemade Beef Jerky. Last summer, during garage sale season, I purchased a super cheap dehydrator. I think I paid $5 for it. I kept telling my husband I would get around to making beef jerky............. Uhmmmmmm, yeah. Almost a year later, I finally got around to it. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
 
beefy goodness



I swung by my local Fareway and requested a lean roast to be sliced to beef jerky thinness. I decided on a dry seasoning as this was my first time trying beef jerky at home. The beef initially weighed in at 2lbs 15 oz. After dehydrating, it was 13.5 oz. Waaahhhhhh??? I'm so not joking.



And last, but not least, yams. Yummy, yummy yams. I love starch. Starchy, starch, starch. Here it goes down, down into my belly......

Hawaii yam
I purchased three different yams from the Asian store. The first was labeled Hawaii yam. I had these for breakfast yesterday. I thought they were only ok.

Yellow yam

I had the one labeled yellow yam for supper last night. I thought this one was wonderful. Slightly sweet, wonderful flavor.

Japanese sweet potato

The last yam I picked up was labeled as a Japanese sweet potato. We haven't tried this one yet. It'll probably be tomorrow night. I will definitely be picking up more of the yellow yam. It will make a nice change from the normal sweet potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment