Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Whole 30 / Day 2


Woke up this morning feeling a little under the weather. You know, I never understood this phrase. I mean, since we're on the ground and the sky is above us, aren't we always under the weather. It's not like the weather comes up from the earth, right?  Alright..alright, so maybe I'm over-analyzing.

Anyways, I could feel myself starting to come down with something for the last few days. I popped a few Vit D this morning with my coffee, so I'm hoping I've headed anything major off. I hate being sick.

Coconut Milk Coffee

Leftover sausage from the acorn squash dish
I woke up hungry, but once I started eating, I couldn't finish. Shoulder is feeling a lot better today. I think I'll be ready to go by Friday morning for my workout.

As I was driving into work, I saw a herd of turkeys in the middle of the road.

(Yes, I know herd is not the correct term)

Mid morning snack: coconut milk chai, no pic

I was going to have leftover roast and soup for lunch today, but I started feeling worse throughout the morning and decided that I needed to break out some chicken soup. 

One of the major problems I have with store bought stock/broth is that these companies always feel like they have to add at least one of three things to make it taste "better": yeast, sugar or MSG. Not only is this is unnecessary, but I have serious dietary issues with all of those items. I think the Trader Joe's brand is an exception though.

So instead of buying stock, I just made my own. 

Chicken soup and coconut chai
I ran out to the store and picked up a couple of rotisserie thighs from the deli, a couple packages of frozen vegetables and a package of shredded cabbage. I took the skin off the thighs (who knows what they use for seasoning on the skin) and threw them in a pot and covered with water. I added some poultry seasoning that didn't have any questionable stuff in it, put the lid on and let it boil for a while.

After the meat was ready to fall off the bone and the water looked like stock, I pulled the chicken out to de-bone. Added the vegetables and cabbage into the stock with the meat and let it simmer until the veggies were cooked through. Seasoned with a little more poultry seasoning, but it wasn't smelling quite like what I wanted, so I threw a few spoonfuls of my leftover butternut squash soup in there. Now that's good stuff.

 Afternoon snack:

I got a call from my parents wanting to go out to dinner at the Harrah's casino buffet. I said yes because they've been asking to see us for a few weeks now and we've put them off because they usually want to go out too late in the evening for us during the work week. This is my first challenge to stay on plan. I know going into it what I need to do is to plan out ahead of time what I'm going to have.


Tonight is prime rib night (hopefully not overcooked). They always have a turkey roast. They usually have various sorts of vegetables, most without any type of sauces. I can't remember what they have for salad dressings, so that may be another option. And they always have an assortment of cut fruit. Definitely going to avoid anything with mystery sauces. And all the pastries.

I'm all set. I'll let you know tomorrow how it went. No pictures though, I'm not going to try to explain to my parents about blogging. God love 'em, but their heads might explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment